Subject: Re: Refactoring MI devices in GENERIC and friends
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/09/2007 11:30:44
joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:

> > doesn't macppc have vtophys()?
> > any driver using it won't work on sparc64.
>
> In dev/pci only bktr and oboe match that (with possible conditional
> code in de(4)).

- many drivers lack necessary bus_dmamap_sync(9) calls,
  which are mostly no-op on i386 or macppc
  (IIRC there was a report ti(4) didn't work on sparc64)
- some drivers are not well-tested on big endian machines
  (some VLAN code might be still problematic for example),
  or also could have LE64BE bugs on sparc64
- sparc64 (or some other ports) has more assertions in MD backend
  and some drivers could have bugs which are not caught on i386
- some drivers might have invalid I/O accesses which only
  work in __NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT case

etc?
---
Izumi Tsutsui