Subject: Re: Refactoring MI devices in GENERIC and friends
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <>
From: Michael Lorenz <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/08/2007 17:37:45

On Sep 8, 2007, at 14:37, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 01:54:58PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
>> Sounds good to me - that would at least ensure that all MI drivers
>> compile
>> everywhere they make sense. And way too often people confuse 'drivers
>> listed in GENERIC' and 'all drivers available' - I know I made that
>> mistake
>> ages ago.
> Given that a common use case is "What hardware works with GENERIC" and
> strip down from that, I wouldn't consider that assumption a mistake...

macppc's and sparc64's GENERIC contain far fewer MI PCI, audio,
cardbus, PCMCIA etc. drivers than for instance i386, in those cases
assuming if it's not in GENERIC it's not there is a mistake, it would
just indicate that the drivers in question likely haven't been tested
on those platforms.
Same about sparc and pcmcia - only a handful drivers are in GENERIC
although pcmcia on sparc isn't all that commonplace.

>> Why not go a step further and do the same for other MI kernel config
>> bits?
>> Like std.ipv6 ( all IPv6 related options ), std.smb ( everything you
>> need
>> for file-system SMBFS ), std.wscons ( all wscons options and
>> wsdisplay,
>> wskbd, wsmouse etc. attachments ) and so on ?
> They tend to change a lot less often. That might also really fall into
> the category of making it harder to tune the system without good
> reason.
> I just want to start somewhere :-)

Well, I'm likely to have either all ipv6 bits or none, either all smb
bits or none etc. but that's probably just me - all I say is an easy
way to turn off - say, ipv6 - completely without having to hunt down
every single related option might be useful.

have fun
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)