Subject: Re: Refactoring MI devices in GENERIC and friends
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Dennis den Brok <d.den.brok@uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/08/2007 20:15:55
Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi> schrieb:
> On Sat Sep 08 2007 at 14:01:27 -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
>> >IMHO we should discourage home-grown kernel configs, but OTOH we can't
>> >exactly do that today, tomorrow, or even next week and still have
>> >everything work.  However, would be nice if the project set a policy
>> >for moving towards this (or moving away from it, if so decided).
>>
>> We can't really do that without much better LKM support, as in most
>> drivers being available as modules which can be loaded and unloaded on
>> demand.
>
> Exactly.  I am thinking we won't have that support even by next week.

There has recently been a discussion on this list about the extension
of autoconf(4) such that it's able to load a plist of drivers to
actually load at boottime, similar, I think, to what OpenBSD already
has. Couldn't this serve as adhoc-solution to the issue, until
better LKM support is implemented?

In any case, I'm interested in the status of this. Does anyone have
uptodate information? TIA.

--
Dennis den Brok