Subject: Re: Refactoring MI devices in GENERIC and friends
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/08/2007 19:47:25
On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 01:41:39PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I would further suggest splitting some of these into mainstream and
> fringe devices, so that people can include them separately, but that
> gets to be MD in practice.  But it might enable omitting (on
> e.g. sparc64) lots of stuff that's in practice only on i386 and is odd
> even there.

Is it really worth the trouble? I mean GENERIC is meant to work
~everywhere, so the only good reason to not include a driver is that it
is either just broken (and who commits such drivers?) :-)) or that it
conflicts with something else. I wouldn't want to make a popularity
contest here. Do you actually partly modify a kernel config? If I go to
that trouble, I normally do the correctly and trim down the kernel to
the devices I have.

Joerg