Subject: Refactoring MI devices in GENERIC and friends
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/08/2007 15:33:17
Hi all,
I would like to see some changes for the way the default configurations
are handled. We currently have a lot of small variations between GENERIC
and GENERIC_LAPTOP on i386 and I expect most development e.g. of PCI
drivers to happen on that platform or at least to be tested on it.
When new PCI drivers are added, changes are high that *other* platforms
are even less like to get all entries than GENERIC_LAPTOP to stay in
sync with GENERIC.

My suggestion is that all MI drivers for PCI, Cardbus, USB and PCMCIA
(devices, not necessarily controllers) are collected from i386 and
amd64's GENERIC kernels and added to
src/sys/conf/std.{pci,cardbus,usb,pcmcia}. The direct lists of i386 and
amd64 kernels will refer to those with a possible exception for space
limited install kernels. Other platforms should be converted by the
portmaster.

xtraeme@ volunteered to work on this if we have a consensus. Let's get
this maintainance nightmare sorted out.

Joerg