Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/04/2007 12:06:58

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 05:54:02PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > On Mon,  3 Sep 2007 12:05:11 +0900 (JST)
> > (YAMAMOTO Takashi) wrote:
> >=20
> > > "generic string" means a opaque value whose meaning is only known to
> > > the specific driver, right?  does the opaqueness help the script?
> >=20
> > My intention wasn't to make it opaque, ENVSYS_GSTRING uses the
> > genstr member in envsys_data_t that is defined as:
> >=20
> > char genstr[ENVSYS_DESCLEN]
> >=20
> > so it's an array of 32 chars. But it's generic in the sense that you
> > can add the string that you want on it, perhaps the name is not the
> > best one... but I was out of ideas.
> i'm not sure how it's generic, compared to, say, ENVSYS_INTEGER.
> are you going to rename ENVSYS_INTEGER to ENVSYS_GINTEGER? :-)

GINTEGER is definitely less appealing than a GSTRING.  Granted, the
latter covers little, to the point one could doubt its usefulness,
but if it's a way to show something to the user while hiding the
internals of the...  hum, device, then it's good.

Quentin Garnier - -
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.