Subject: Re: Problems with autoconf matching
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/02/2007 17:27:37
On Sep 2, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Jachym Holecek wrote:

>> In the case of direct configuration, things are of course very
>> different:  the parent knows there is a device, and indeed wants the
>> best driver for it.
>
> I'm not familiar with mac68k, but for the case where device
> configuration
> is fixed for given machine model and where there's a limited number of
> machine models, I think it's better to take the evbmips/evbppc
> approach.
>
> That is, convert the bus from indirect config to direct-config and
> config_found() devices based on some internal config table picked by
> lowlevel code according to machine model (if you can tell machine
> model at runtime this allows you to have GENERIC kernel).
>
> Alternatively, make obio(4) properly indirect and come up with per-
> model
> kernel config with all obio(4) devices wired down (but this only makes
> sense in case where there may be arbitrary devices connected at obio
> (4)).

Hrm, I think I'm not going to worry.  I have started to remove the
code that is supposed to die and, when the new one works in all
cases, I hope to do the replacement all at once (without having to
keep two drivers for the same device).

Thanks though!  There's always interesting stuff to learn :-)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>