Subject: Re: Separating softc and struct device?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@stderr.spb.ru>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/30/2007 01:04:17
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 22:22:20 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> is there a good reason to keep all the pointer casts for
> device softc's to struct device and vice versa? I think it would be good
> to follow the changes in ifnet vs arpcom and use direct pointer.
> An additional goody would be that struct device could become an abstract
> type and modifying it gets easier.

And we already have void *device_private(device_t); that's currently
is a no-op (returns back its argument), but you can use it on existing
code to easily mark it up for split device/softc.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe@stderr.spb.ru                       |       Zu Grunde kommen
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen