Subject: Re: resize_lfs: resizing: Operation not supported
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/27/2007 15:07:04
On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 02:55:39PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I have a system with an LFS root filesystem, where I need some more space
> for kernel dumps.  The filesystem's 1.8G but has only 300MB in use and is
> fairly new.  When I run resize_lfs, I can see it fire up the cleaner and
> move some data, then, quickly, I get:
>
> resize_lfs: resizing: Operation not supported
>
> A ktrace shows fcntl repeatedly fail, like this:
>
>  28476      1 resize_lfs CALL  fcntl(4,0x9004cc07,0xbfbfeb64)
>  28476      1 resize_lfs RET   fcntl -1 errno 45 Operation not supported

Odd: the only obvious EOPNOTSUPP in this part of the LFS code is right at
the head of lfs_vfsops.c:lfs_resize_fs(), if the in-core filesystem version
is less than 2.  dumplfs says the version of my filesystem is 2, as I
expected.

So, either: 1) the fcntl isn't making it down to the LFS code, 2) the in-core
filesystem version is wrong (I'd expect this to cause massive corruption,
though, so I think this is unlikely), or 3) one of the other routines called
by lfs_resize_fs is returning EOPNOTSUPP.

Unless someone else sees something I don't.

Thor