Subject: Re: Syscall number space
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/27/2007 03:56:03
On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 11:12:27PM -0700, Darren Reed wrote:

> But is there any reason that these vendors shouldn't use the system call
> slots
> that have been allocated for LKMs?  This would seem to fit their needs
> almost
> perfectly unless said vendors are also loading system calls via
> LKMs...although
> there are only 10 such slots.

I don't particularly object, but it does seem a little ugly.  I guess
I'm more concerned that there are only 10.

I'm just suggesting that we set 25 or 50 slots aside and leave them
that way -- it's been done before, but as the table went through
multiple owners, the "leave them that way" part didn't happen; with
proper documentation, just reserving some of the existing space seems
like the simple, effective solution.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."	      - Noam Chomsky