Subject: Re: importing userspace kernel file system framework
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/2007 01:42:44
It is done.  What happened since my previous post is that the entire
thing migrated to sys/rump (*), got structured much better, works maybe
on non-i386 also, etcetc.  In other words, it's all been shuffling and
makefile wars and very little to do with real work.

If you want to give it a whirl, upgrade, go to sys/rump, type "make", go
to fs/bin/$foofs and run the file system.  It should work to a certain
degree provided your system comes with puffs.  Does it do anything a
kernel file system wouldn't do?  No .. except the core dump may be smaller
and faster and less intrusive.  Oh, actually it does one cool trick: you
can run it on non-block devices, so you don't need to vnconfig the file
system image first (provided, of course, that the file system starts right
from the beginning of the image and that you wouldn't need a disklabel).

I'm also planning a standalone library (and maybe a command line tool)
for using file systems directly without involving a system call or puffs
at all.  But more on that later.

  - antti

*) rump as in runnable userspace meta-program.  I wanted to use a better
suggestion, rum - runnable userspace module.  But total lack of foresight
was displayed when someone imported a driver called rum 9 months ago .. ;)

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/