Subject: re: Make vga(4) always install a sane font
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/01/2007 05:42:09

   > jmmv84@gmail.com wrote:
   >
   >> Can you see any serious problem with it?
   >
   > I don't think it's a good idea to replace builtin font
   > implicitly in all cases. Some people might prefer
   > accustomed builtin one if it has the same charset.
   >
   > Anyway, MD quirks should be handled in MD options, IMO.
   >
   >> (If so, proposed alternatives?)
   >
   > Just adding "options FONT_VT220L8x16" to config files and
   > setting vga_no_builtinfont = 1 in shark/consinit.c:consinit()
   > can handle the MD quirk on shark. That's typical usage of
   > the vga_no_builtinfont variable.

   This seems wrong to me, because it spreads "knowledge" of the problem
   everywhere and also exposes it to the user by requiring him to add an
   extra option to his kernels to preserve the "standard behavior".
   Plus... if vga was an LKM (could it be?), this solution would not be
   applicable.

   Anyway I have done this as it is the current practice.

put it in sys/arch/shark/conf/std.shark?