Subject: Re: new mremap(2): relax alignment restrictions?
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@fs.ei.tum.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/27/2007 00:32:29
Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:57:53PM -0700, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
>> We should check, but I doubt there is a security issue here. All you're
>> going to find is anything extra you scribbled while the page was in cache.
>> And you have to have write access to do that, so you could have written
>> the file anyway.
>
> Sure, but anyone with read access can see that data.  You don't need write
> access for that.  You can even do it with cp:

But the writer is not supposed to write there in the first place!  But even if this is a bug in the writer (writing after the end of the (mapped) file), it is still writing to a file which can be read by users with the appropriate permissions.  I don't really see a security problem there.

cheers
  simon