Subject: Re: SATA-II directions
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/23/2007 21:31:25
--9dgjiU4MmWPVapMU

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:41:06PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
>  On Jul 22, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
>=20
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been hacking on a Silicon Image 3124, 3132, 3531 driver.  My
> > implementation relies on ata(4), like ahcisata(4).  But this
> > may not be the best all-around solution.
>=20
>  Wasabi had a 3124 driver that supported NCQ, etc.  It used ata(4).
>=20
> > Direct your attention now to OpenBSD's ahci(4), sili(4), and atascsi(4).
>=20
>  It's wrong to bolt this stuff underneath SCSI.
>=20

That was my initial hunch.

>=20
> >
> > They support NCQ and ATAPI already.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if
> > this would allow for SMART and whatnot to be used.
> >
> > Anyone think porting these would be a good idea?
> >
> > Or, would writing a proper SATA framework be much better?
>=20
>  Well, ATA and SATA use the same command set.  Only the transport is=20
>  different.  You also have the problem of what to do with SATA-I controll=
ers=20
>  That basically behave like a legacy WDC-type controller.
>
>=20

ATAPI should just be a matter of writing new glue code for the
non-WDC-type controllers.

I guess SATA port multipliers could eventually be supported by
wedging some sort of new piece into the ATA stack somewhere.

Also, hot-swap could probably be fit in somehow too.

> > 	Jonathan Kollasch
>=20
>  -- thorpej

Thanks for the pointers.