Subject: Re: azalia can't map device i/o space
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: None <diro@nixsyspaus.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/23/2007 13:07:36
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 05:40:00PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 12:42:00AM -0400, diro@nixsyspaus.org wrote:
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2007/07/21/0001.html
> >
> > I looked through the sources for azalia.c, azalia.h, and azalia_codec.c and
> > reviewed some private correspondence from another NetBSD user. I am making time
> > in my schedule to work on this; however, it's difficult as i am running 3.1
> > instead of -current, so i don't think i'd be able to test any of the code other
> > than for syntax.
> >
> > Also, i wasn't sure if it was an issue with the driver or something with the
> > motherboard. I would like to start working on these sorts of issues in NetBSD.
> > In a situation like this, what's the best place to start? What's most likely the
> > cause of the problem? Please advise.
>
> It's a BIOS bug.  More precisely, the BIOS doesn't support 32-bits OSes,
> at least those that don't do PAE.
>
> Check the motherboard's vendor site for upgrades or use NetBSD/amd64...
>
> --
> Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net - cube@NetBSD.org
> "You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
> Owe it to yourself not to fail"
> Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

Hmm, it's strange that the BIOS would be 64 bit and the processor 32bit. I tried
booting with amd64 and that was not possible. Do you think swapping the
processor with a 64bit processor would make this work? Is there another way to
modify the BIOS to support PAE? Strange that it doesn't, because it's a fairly
new board.

The US representative of the company says that no firmware upgrades are
available for the motherboard. It's very difficult to find firmware for this
particular model, the Durabook S14D (D14RI).