Subject: Re: malloc_usable_size () call under NetBSD
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2007 09:15:07
>> complaining to lack the "malloc_usable_size ()" system call.
> If we ever want to get this into pkgsrc, DO NOT USE THAT CALL.  It is
> completely bogus exposure of malloc internals.

It is?  I don't see what's wrong with it.  Any malloc implementation
could add it, if necessary by simply always returning the size passed
to malloc for the block in question.  I don't see it as the least bit
unreasonable to have a call that says "okay, you're allowed to allocate
more than I asked for; tell me how much you actually allocated".

(Why is this on tech-kern@?  malloc is a userland thing....)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign