Subject: Re: Handling firmware versions
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: None <degroote@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/19/2007 13:13:42
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:36:51PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On pkgsrc side, what I understand from your proposal is that you want
> > to rename the firmware so we can retrieve the different versions of
> > firmware.  What joerg says I think is that other Os may not find the
> > firmware file because it doesn't have the canonical name found in the
> > default install.
>
> Sure, but what matters is that we agree on something and stick to it.
> When you update the package like you did, in a way that requires changes
> to the kernel, you're not helping other OSes that might not have the
> necessary kernel changes yet either...

You are right. I didn't think a lot about other system when I commited it.
I just want to commit my last wpi change (in order to prepare the pullup
for netbsd-4 of wpi(4)) and so first, I needed to update the firmware in
the pkgsrc.

Feel free to revert it or change it if you have a cool solution to handle
the different firmware. I will update wpi(4).

Take cares.
--
Arnaud Degroote
degroote@netbsd.org