Subject: Re: getting rid of uvn_attach()
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, chs@netbsd.org, wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/17/2007 15:56:14
On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 09:45:30PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:

> The device pager is used for character devices, not the vnode pager.
> This is controlled in uvm_mmap().  I don't think VOP_MMAP() on a char
> device makes any sense at all, so if someone adds a VOP_MMAP() call to
> the kernel on a char device some day, IMHO it should panic.

Pardon my ignorance about how the calls work their way down to the VOP
level, which I think will be evident from this question.

Are you suggesting that calling mmap() on character devices isn't
reasonable, or that such a call shouldn't show up as VOP_MMAP() at the
vnode layer?

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."	      - Noam Chomsky