Subject: Re: Removing __BROKEN_CONFIG_UNIT_USAGE
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/17/2007 17:47:06
--zZlcsJOVyAcDN4NF

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 06:37:42PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> cube@cubidou.net wrote:
>=20
> > > A quick grep through sun3 configs shows vme only ever has wired insta=
nces,
> > > so it would seem it's not broken in the __BROKEN_CONFIG_UNIT_USAGE se=
nse.
> >=20
> > Exactly.
> >=20
> > Yes, sun3 still relies on cf_unit to carry information, but it's not
> > alone in that respect.  As long as that kind of abuse is limited to
> > wired instances, it's ok.
>=20
> Hmm, in sun3 vme.c cf_unit is tied to vme_info[] array which specifies
> VME bus type (width) so I thought it was invalid, but if it's still
> valid it is just my ignorance of autoconf(9) and there is no problem.

It's questionable style, but it's not tied to __BROKEN_CONFIG_UNIT_USAGE
because the latter deals with starred instances where the unit number
has a meaning.  The vme instances found in the sun3 config files are all
wired down.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--zZlcsJOVyAcDN4NF

--zZlcsJOVyAcDN4NF--