Subject: Re: Removing __BROKEN_CONFIG_UNIT_USAGE
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/2007 17:27:54
--/T5/D81aE6hAEKcd

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 04:53:09PM +0200, Jachym Holecek wrote:
> # Izumi Tsutsui 2007-07-16:
> > cube@cubidou.net wrote:
> >=20
> > > Attached is a patch that should DTRT and allow us to remove the
> > > __BROKEN_CONFIG_UNIT_USAGE tests in subr_autoconf.c.
> > >=20
> > > My understanding of the sun3 code is that it used it to make sure the
> > > xd and xy drives had the correct numbers, while still having a wildca=
rd
> > > instance in the config file, which is not only wrong but confusing.
> >=20
> > I have not checked your patch closely, but
> > arch/sun3/sun3{,x}/vme.c also have broken cf_unit usage.
>=20
> A quick grep through sun3 configs shows vme only ever has wired instances,
> so it would seem it's not broken in the __BROKEN_CONFIG_UNIT_USAGE sense.

Exactly.

Yes, sun3 still relies on cf_unit to carry information, but it's not
alone in that respect.  As long as that kind of abuse is limited to
wired instances, it's ok.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--/T5/D81aE6hAEKcd

--/T5/D81aE6hAEKcd--