Subject: Re: Relevance of IS09660 apple extensions for makefs
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Richy Kim <richy@fatkid.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/2007 14:31:51
>   IIRC, mac68k and macppc are not yet switched over to use makefs
> rather than mkisofs (from pkgsrc), since they rely on hybrid
> (HFS+ISO9660) and Apple Extension support, respectively.  The
> makefiles using mkisofs do use these features now.

So stepping back, the larger motivation is to have an "in-base" mkisofs
equivalent?

From what I understand, Open Firmware 3 and up which is essentialy every
modern mac within the last few years, requires hybrid (HFS+/ISO9660) to
automatically boot. So apple extensions alone on makefs would be short.

I haven't found any literature on mac68k to confirm if pure iso9660 with
apple extensions would suffice for boot.

-r.