Subject: Re: sys_mount() and VFS_MOUNT() and file-system specif arguments
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Wraukon the Excellent <wraukon@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/03/2007 16:51:06
On 7/3/07, David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 07:46:00PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 06:42:06PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > > I'm beginning to think that both changes are needed:
> > > 1) Add a new mount system call and library function that passes the
> > >    length of the 'data' buffer into the kernel (and returns it for
> > >    MNT_GETARGS).
> > > 2) Default the buffer size to that from 'struct vfsops' when none
> > >    provided.
> >
> > How much sense does it make to keep MNT_GETARGS in the current form and
> > not just move to string-based input?
>
> That is completely orthogonal to the question I asked.
>
> It the options were a string, problib/XML, problib/binary (etc) you have even
> bigger problems when the application's data/buffer isn't known by the kernel.

What the heck.  Are we going completely XML/proplib happy these days?

Proplibizing everything is probably NOT the way to go, just as NOT proplibizing
everything is probably not the way to go.

The trick is knowing where not to cross this line.

> As a data-point, would you want to be supporting netbsd's sys_mount()
> system call on (say) freebsd if the application passed in a buffer that
> wasn't a simple C structure to translate ?

I agree with this.  Proplibizing this will only add complexity where it's not
needed.

>         David
>
> --
> David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk