Subject: Re: vnd: improving support for compressed images
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2007 22:26:44
On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 03:39:39PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
> 3) create a pass-to-userspace disk framework (like puffs, but for
>    disks) and implement everything in user space.

FYI, as part of the development for the NetBSD iSCSI initiator,
I've started down this route, and have some initial code running
(although it doesn't do much to write home about as yet).

In keeping with pooka's food theme, I've called it "pud", the
pass-to-userspace device.

As well as the iSCSI initiator development, I can see it as being
useful for other things, vnd fun being one of them, as you note.  LVM
and other interesting ideas like expanding it to be network-aware
spring to mind.

I'll let you know more when I've got something running in anger.

Regards,
Alistair