Subject: RE: vnd: improving support for compressed images
To: Wraukon the Excellent <wraukon@gmail.com>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2007 20:23:44
Haai,

On Fri, June 29, 2007 20:15, Wraukon the Excellent wrote:
> If it gets moved into user space, you're STILL crossing from k to u,
> incurring at least double the context switches per request.

When in luser space, componentification is fairly trivial; a lot of
complexity will vanish, enabling us to both tune the newly-created d's and
the remaining parts of the kernel much more intensively with far less
effort -- obviously, the latter will somewhat compensate for the switching
deficiency.

> Of course with machines going faster and faster, the differences are
> becoming less perceptible and nobody cares anyway.

Exactly. I'm not a fan of lowering (or even dropping) support for
anything, but there is a time when you just have to move on. We don't
support the PDP-11, for example, even though to my knowledge there are
some running PDPs still around.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!