Subject: Re: proplib and comments (Re: proplib changes)
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2007 10:27:13
Bill Stouder-Studenmund skrev:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 02:01:04AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> Bill Stouder-Studenmund skrev:
>>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 01:13:17PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
>>>
>>> It kinda depends on the nature of the file. Even now, if you added a
>>> comment to the dhcp.leases file and got upset when it disappeared, I don't
>>> think you'd get much sympathy. :-)
>>>
>>> In general, I don't think Unix has done well at preserving comments in
>>> machine-rewritten files. So nothing new is happening here.
>> Well, in one quick swoop, you've extended the "machine-rewritten" files
>> from being a few oddball files that people usually don't care about
>> editing at all normally, to just about every configuration file there
>> is. That's a rather large change, and so I'd definitely say a lot of new
>> things are happening.
>
> When did I do that?

Sorry, I didn't mean you personally like that.

But yes, I get the impression that we were going to change most
configuration files over to plists, and from the other arguments and
discussions going on, we appearantly will have a plist editor, which
means you'll have a program write the file. And no, I don't consider the
way a text editor writes out my buffer the same thing. :-)

	Johnny