Subject: Re: proplib and comments (Re: proplib changes)
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2007 02:01:04
Bill Stouder-Studenmund skrev:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 01:13:17PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
>> Stuff like this has always bugged me.  That a line is "just a comment"
>> doesn't mean it is unimportant, or that it is unnecessary.  If I take
>> the time add a comment to a config file describing something about it,
>> it really pisses me off if some tool wipes it out.
>
> It kinda depends on the nature of the file. Even now, if you added a
> comment to the dhcp.leases file and got upset when it disappeared, I don't
> think you'd get much sympathy. :-)
>
> In general, I don't think Unix has done well at preserving comments in
> machine-rewritten files. So nothing new is happening here.

Well, in one quick swoop, you've extended the "machine-rewritten" files
from being a few oddball files that people usually don't care about
editing at all normally, to just about every configuration file there
is. That's a rather large change, and so I'd definitely say a lot of new
things are happening.

Don't get me wrong, I really like that the dhcp.leases file is both
easily readable and writeable by humans. But I normally don't edit it,
and I don't consider it being "owned" by a human.

	Johnny