Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Wraukon the Excellent <wraukon@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2007 16:41:44
On 6/28/07, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> Don't see why?  I'm guessing you don't have to administer both OS X and
> Solaris server systems: they both have XML configuration files for most
> network services, both use public DTDs, and that's as far as it goes: have
> fun remembering which way you have to write that configuration file _this_
> time...

Yeah, going to XML configuration for what were previously
human-readable formats for services seems a pretty egregiously
gratuitous move.

I don't know which bonehead came up with the thought that that was a
good thing.  I'd love to smack him in the kneecaps for that one.

...and I pray that NetBSD doesn't go in that direction.  It's
tantamount to having a system registry that needs a special tool to
configure inetd and everything else.

--*greywolf;