Subject: Sun Fire X2200, IPMI and the bge(4) driver
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2007 12:46:06
	Hello.  We've recently acquired a couple of Sun Fire X2200 machines to
evaluate their use for our production environment.  So far, I'm able to
load and run NetBSD-3.1 with no difficulties, save one.
	The Service Processor, SP, or BMC, provides a way to remotely manage
the box, either ssh or via an http interface.  Unfortunately, it does this
through the same ethernet port which shows up as follows on the X2200:

bge1 at pci6 dev 4 function 1: Broadcom BCM5715 Gigabit Ethernet
bge1: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 10 (irq 10)
bge1: ASIC unknown BCM5715 (0x9003), Ethernet address 00:1b:24:3e:0a:1a
bge1: setting short Tx thresholds
brgphy1 at bge1 phy 1: BCM5714 1000BASE-T media interface, rev. 0
brgphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FD
X, auto

Once NetBSD takes over this port, the BMC can no longer talk to the world,
meaning there is no longer any remote control of the box, except through
NetBSD itself.
	The Sun documentation says that this particular Broadcom chip uses
Universal Management Port (UMP) technology.  However, the source code for
the Broadcom drivers shipped with the drivers and utilities CD mentions
nothing about this capability in the chip itself.

My questions are as follows:

1.  Does anyone have any experience with NetBSD on the X2200 or X2100 who
can shed light on how the SP/BMC interact with NetBSD to provide a
truelights out management solution?

2.  Failing that, does anyone know about the UMP technology in Broadcom
chips and whether or not special driver support is needed for this
functionality?
-thanks
-Brian