Subject: Terribly ill systems, was Re: proplib changes
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2007 17:09:27
--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:46:32PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Jared D. McNeill skrev:
> >On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 12:02 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >>So, what when my system is really borked, and I can't get proplib to=20
> >>work? I guess I'm pretty toast then? (Getting systems into a=20
> >>semi-catastrophic state have happened to me a few times.)
> >
> >Are you joking?
>=20
> No. I have had times when I have had to modify or overwrite=20
> configuration files in systems where almost nothing have been working as=
=20
> it should.
> The idea that you'll have a tool converting from some tricky format into=
=20
> something human readable and editable, which you then edit, and then it=
=20
> gets converted back basically requires that some bits of the system is=20
> working right, or the answer will be "reinstall the system, please".

Not really.

I agree that things can really go down the drain. However if your system=20
is that bad off, why are you trying to use it to fix it?

We have the /rescue tools for this purpose. We should add "pledit" to
/rescue when we have it. vi is already there.

Going further, if the system is so messed up that /rescue doesn't work,=20
use install media. Not to reinstall, but to boot a system that can work on=
=20
the ill system.

I agree we need to think about how to fix ill systems. But I think we have=
=20
done enough work that we can readily avoid the pain you describe.

Take care,

Bill

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--