Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2007 23:43:01
In article <1182877875.205.6.camel@localhost> Jared wrote:
: On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 23:04 +0200, Johnny Billquist
: > Well, the suggested external storage format was XML, but it might be
: > something binary (as has been hinted), or some even more tricky format
: > to get right.

: In this case, we need to be careful what we decide is an XML plist and
: what is a binary plist. I wouldn't dream of having (from a separate
: thread) bootprops use a binary plist for this very reason.

: Less critical things (lets say for example the dhcpd leases database, or
: utmp/utmpx) would be fine with a binary plist.

: We need to figure out where that line goes :-)

  As a rule of thumb, I'd suggest: if it's basically a cache, and the
system still works reasonably well if you delete the file, it can be
in binary format.

					yours,
					dillo