Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@stderr.spb.ru>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2007 20:22:51
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:03:09 -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> comments are just that -- comments.  They are semantically
> meaningless, and so, while the parser can handle normal XML comments,
> the comments do not appear in the resulting dictionary.  Since they're
> not in the dictionary, when the dictionary is once again externalized,
> there obviously won't be any comments.
>
> Not that this matters much -- generally, the keys used in a dictionary
> should be chosen so as to be descriptive, and nothing is a substitute
> for good documentation on the schema used by any given application.

Descriptive key names don't help when you want to add a comment as to
*why* such and such key is set to such and such value.  Like, e.g.:

<!-- Normally 5 is ok, but we use 30 here, b/c otherwise machine hangs -->
<integer>30</integer>

SY, Uwe
--
uwe@stderr.spb.ru                       |       Zu Grunde kommen