Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Trevor Talbot <quension@gmail.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2007 03:01:30
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 11:12:58PM -0700, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> On 6/25/07, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
>
> >What harm is done if we have 8,000 different syntaxes, if the tools do
> >seamless conversion between them all?
>
> Er, I thought the point of having a human-editable format was to avoid
> requiring the use of tools.

What you're missing is that "the tools" in this case means "any
proplib-using application".  It doesn't matter if you write a boot
properties list in XML or SCN, it looks the same to proplib internally;
and, similarly, it can output that list of boot properties in XML or
SCN, as you like.

The simple fact that proplib can internalize *and* externalize is one
major advantage it offers over other parsers traditionally used for
configuration files.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                               tls@rek.tjls.com
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all