Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2007 20:34:10
# Jachym Holecek 2007-06-07:
>   o Extend the API to support parsing of externalized data
>     accross buffer boundaries (so that plists can easily be
>     sent over nonblocking channels). Only SCN supports this
>     right now.

I've come to the conclusion that complexity doesn't outweight the
benefit for this particular point (there are simpler ways to archive
the goal).

So unless there are objections, I'd like to commit this with the
following adjustments:

   o Remove prop_parser* API.

   o In userland version, pick default codec based on environment
     variable.

   o In kernel version, export the list of supported codecs via
     sysctl ("kern.plist_codecs"?) and teach prop_*_ioctl() about it.

   o Add clear signature to SCN format (externalized form must
     begin with "SCN").

I believe this should cover all issues raised in the discussion. It will
take at least a week before I get to doing it.

Later on, I'd like to simplify SCN code to take advantage of the design
change above (but that's just an optimization).

Thoughts?

	-- Jachym