Subject: Re: uvm_fault panic on 4.0_BETA2/amd64
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/22/2007 16:20:33
On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 02:08:01PM -0000, De Zeurkous wrote:
> This is the /entire/ problem with NetBSD. The project is run by
> ``highly-valued people'' (I'm paraphrasing severely here, but given your
> attitude it's too obvious to pass by), while it is never clear what
> ``highly-valued'' actually means and from who this designation originates.

No. This project is run by volunteers. You don't pay me. I would be
surprised to hear that you pay e.g. Konrad to work on LFS. We have no
obligation to other than we personally see as necessary. I certainly
don't see why I should have to called names for what I do or don't do.

> Personally (yes, /personally/) I suspect a routine (seen worse) case of
> oligarchism. It is clearly forgotten that everyone needs a good kick in
> the ass from time to time, including ``highly-valued people''. You curse
> that fact as an annoyance instead of using it to sharpen your skills and
> improve your work. Taking this kind of messages as ``highly insulting''
> demonstrates a clear lack of self-insight.

The message was not about any of the suggested changes. Some might make
sense, others don't. It is entirely about making unjustified claims
about the "current" developers on LFS. Konrad didn't start LFS, but he
did a lot to make LFS usable. Claiming that it will never be stable is
used uncalled for as it was his work that brought it to the point where
it is actually usable enough to complain about.

Joerg