Subject: Re: Boot properties, take 3
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2007 11:19:47
--AFtOQYyat+o5LZDb

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 09:06:11PM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
>  On 19-Jun-07, at 8:12 PM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > I wonder how we'll do that from a user/installer point: thow in GENERIC=
,=20
> > and then have sets with different /netbsd.plist files to get _NOACPI,=
=20
> > _LAPTOP, etc. kernel flavours?
>=20
>  I would personally like to see us start using GENERIC for installation a=
s=20
>  well, but this should be a separate discussion.

Agreed, and agreed.  However, on the point about having different sets
for each plist file: no, just have them all and adjust a symlink (or
whatever) for which one gets installed by default.

> > Will we stop having a lot of kernels, and have different .plist files f=
or=20
> > the various flavours in the future?
>=20
>  If we boot the installer with a GENERIC kernel, we could dump the (now=
=20
>  known-working) bootprops into the install root. That way you're pretty m=
uch=20
>  guaranteed to have a working config, with the exception being the=20
>  GENERIC/GENERIC.MP case. Maybe you get to select between using GENERIC a=
nd=20
>  GENERIC.MP for installation or something (or maybe we grow a bit of smar=
ts=20
>  in the bootloader and detect whether we're booting on a UP or MP system,=
=20
>  selecting the appropriate kernel automatically).

As I understand it, at least post-vmlocking, there won't be much need
for different UP/MP kernels anymore (unless you're specifically
stripping one way down for size).

--
Dan.

--AFtOQYyat+o5LZDb