Subject: Re: Kernel config file
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/19/2007 06:44:37
On 19-Jun-07, at 3:09 AM, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> And I hope the answer is "no", because "yes" would mean that in some
> cases, you would have to boot the system, edit the configuration
> file, and
> reboot, which is really inconvenient. Especially because changing the
> configuration can be a prerequisite for successfull boot. The exact
> format of the configuration file does not matter here.

My latest patch, which I'll make available later today, addresses
this for the current implementation.

The bootloader pulls in /netbsd.plist, has the ability to read/write
the dictionary itself, then the (potentially updated) plist is passed
to the kernel. If you happened to have done 'boot -c', any changes
made in userconf are reflected in the bootprops dictionary.

If you like what you see, you can run 'bootprops dump >/netbsd.plist'
to capture the current state. No need to reboot because you're
already running the way you want.

Cheers,
Jared