Subject: Re: Interrupt, interrupt threads, continuations, and kernel lwps
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/18/2007 14:36:25
Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 11:20:42PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>
>> What would this mean? Replacing splbio, splnet, etc. by
>> spllow/splmid/splhigh?
>
> That's the plan. It depends on the platform but looks roughly like this:
>
> bio, net, tty, vm -> low
> sched, clock, audio -> mid
> statclock, serial, ipi -> high

Hi,

Sorry I only came to this discussion just now, but I've been head down
in a development effort.

I have a conceptual problem with doing this, because you're destroying
useful information.  On platform A, audio might be able to do with
mid, but on platform B it might need high. Now, to change that, I
merely need to change one definition in one place. Once you've erased
all that information then in order to move to a new platform I have to
go look at all the splmid calls to see if they should still be mid or
not, and I've got to make changes all over the code that break
platform independency at a source level unnecessarily.