Subject: Re: Kernel config file
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/18/2007 15:39:25
Jared D. McNeill skrev:
> Users shouldn't have to edit config files. proplib enables us to build
> tools to move away from having to do this kind of crap. The fact that
> our plist format happens to be in a format that is easily modified with
> a text editor should be viewed as a feature, not a bug.

You know, Microsoft Windows already have this approach, and I don't know
how many times I personally, and people nearby, have cursed that.
Being able to edit the file yourself, and actually know *everything* it
says, instead of relying on tools that are doing things you have no
control over is considered an advantage for some people.

If your sentiment reflects the way NetBSD will be going, I know a lot of
people who will bail out pretty fast.

If we want to run Windows, Microsoft already have an excellent solution
for us to use.

	Johnny