Subject: Re: Kernel config file
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/2007 17:21:06
On 17-Jun-07, at 5:11 PM, Martin Husemann wrote:
> What is the point of encoding anything but instructions that you
> could give
> to userconf at the prompt in this file?
>
> (Note: this is not about plist format, I would like to understand
> why you
> put three levels of wrappers [array,dict,xml] around a linear list of
> input data)

The intent is that the boot plist file can be extended in the future.
userconf scripting is simply an example of what can be done. I would
like to see things such as bootloader configuration (console, serial
port speed) as well as allowing for kernel tunables. Turning the
PCI_*_FIXUP compile-time options into runtime options comes to mind.

Cheers,
Jared