Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/2007 13:15:06
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 01:11:04PM +0200, Jachym Holecek wrote:
> I don't agree -- imagine you have a security bug in the default kernel
> codec, you should be able to recompile the kernel with a different one
> and have proplib just deal with it. For this to work, the kernel needs
> to expose the list of codecs it supports -- pavel@ suggested a sysctl
> with the result of prop_codec_list().

That is fine with me, as long as I can create a kernel codec list of size 1 ;-)

Still, the ioctl code needs to do something special, like query that sysctl
and select a codec based on the result. My main point was: the "default
codec" selection could be quite different for userland and ioctl.

Martin