Subject: Re: GPT support still needed?
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/07/2007 11:59:27
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 05:41:37PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> tor 2007-06-07 klockan 17.29 skrev Jason Thorpe:
> >
> > For systems whose firmware doesn't give a flying banana about the
> > partition table format, GPT will be just as ignored by the firmware as
> > BSD disklabels are.
>
> I take it that this means you intend to switch them over to use GPTs. So
> we'll "create" a format there, which I guess was designed for another
> type of systems... Oh well, as long as it keeps as non-intrusive as
> possible.

GPT is a nice, flexible partition table format -- much nicer and more
flexible than BSD disklabel, and not really any more complex than it
needs to be to overcome some of disklabel's limitations.

Since we *already* use a foreign partition table format almost everywhere
(since that's what disklabel is) it seems eminently sensible to switch to
a more modern and flexible one.  What disadvantage do you see to this?

Thor