Subject: Re: GPT support still needed? (was: RE: Recursive partitioning)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2007 11:11:30
--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 01:26:55PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>=20
> Or, for that matter, the disklabels that will be necessary in order to
> use a disk on both pre- and post-GPT-flag-day kernels.  Or have you
> decided that backward compatability doesn't matter?

I don't envision a GPT flag day. Mainly as using GPT isn't as incompatible=
=20
and irriversible a thing as "Flag day" implies.

We are moving (ever so slowly at times) towards wedges. We will flip the
switch on them at some point, and not go back. However we have wedge
readers for MBR and raw disklabel disks too. So wedges aren't going to
trigger a GPT flag day AFAICT. And wedges do work in 4.0, even though they=
=20
aren't default.

Yes, I envision a day after which our tools will default to GPT. But I
expect there will be some backwards compat available. Like a tool to make
an MBR for boot partitions or a disklabel for boot partitions. I forsee
limits on such GPT boot partitions, since you'll need to be able to
express them in terms of the compat format (either MBR or disklabel).

Take care,

Bill

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl--