Subject: Re: GPT support still needed? (was: RE: Recursive partitioning)
To: None <zeurkous@nichten.info>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2007 21:28:29
On Jun 5, 2007, at 3:41 PM, De Zeurkous wrote:

> Personally, I believe the GPT system is overkill, as well. Most UNIX
> (and
> some  other) systems AFAIK either use their own disk slices and/or
> aren't
> used intensively in multiboot configurations; the deployment of the
> remaining (semi-popular) OSes is seldom planned seriously.
>
> The only thing which would benefit from it, at least that I can
> think of,
> is Lunix -- but they make a mess of everything, anyway.

NetBSD decided to migrate to GPT long before Apple even announced that
they were making the Intel transition.

GPT has absolutely nothing to do with multi-booting or anything of
that nonsense.  It has everything to do with being able to support
very large disks and having descriptive partition names.

-- thorpej