Subject: Re: IPF in our source tree
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2007 07:34:40
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 07:46:01AM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> >Did you try to only load the LKM without enabling ipfilter in /etc/rc.conf?
>
> Yes.
>
> ROOT n106:~> ipf -V
> ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.22 (396)
> open device: Device not configured
>
> ROOT n106:~> modload /usr/lkm/if_ipl.o
> Module loaded as ID 0
>
> ROOT n106:~> ipf -V
> ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.22 (396)
> Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.22
> Running: yes
           ^^^

And that is the 'problem' with this kind of change.

Going back to my emails nearly 10 years ago which I send to Darren:

- ip_fil.[ch]: ipfilterattach is really a dummy function on NetBSD, see the
  comment in it. iplattach is called by the pseudo-device attach which is
  wrong for the usage of its function so we fixed it with renaming it to
  ipl_enable and then ipldetach to ipl_disable to be consistent with the
  function names.

Where the comment was:

!       /*
!        * Do nothing here, really.  The filter will be enabled
!        * by the SIOCFRENB ioctl.
!        */

> Log Flags: 0 = none set
> Default: pass all, Logging: available
> Active list: 0
> Feature mask: 0x103
>
> ROOT n106:~> modstat
> Type    Id   Offset Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
> DEV       0  -1/44  ccba0000 0084 ccbbc9a0   2 IP Filter: v4.1.22
>
> >Is ipfilter still disabled in this configuration?
>
> Oh, you are right. The module doesn't work for me...

What do you mean here? I meant to say that loading the lkm should not
automatically enable it. So it would be work the same way as we do
with the in kernel version.

Bernd