Subject: Re: fiber channel recommendations?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/10/2007 23:44:16
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 04:31:40PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:11:15PM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> >On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:50:42AM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> >[..]
> >> NetBSD 3.1_STABLE (SAW2) #6: Thu May 10 10:15:39 EDT 2007
> >> 	root@saw2:/usr/obj/sys/arch/amd64/compile/SAW2
> >> total memory = 16383 MB
> >> avail memory = 15718 MB
> >
> >Hmm, you are using 16GB ram. Could there be a problem with the card
> >with so many ram?
> >Can you try to reduce it to 2GB and test the connection with it?
>
> ...no, because it has 8 2Gb modules and each of the 2 CPU
> need one module, the lowest I could go is 4Gb, would that be
> okay?

Hmm, I don't think so, if it is a problem with more then 2GB,
but this is just an idea, because some cards have problems
with more then 2GB or ram.

> Otherwise I could borrow a pair of 1Gb modules from another
> computer, tomorrow... is there a boot parameter to do the same
> thing?

There is the kernel option REALEXTMEM.
See options(4) and eg. the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel config, but I
can't remeber if this is the correct way to limit it and if this
would fix the problem because of the BIOS memory mapping.

Bernd