Subject: Re: envsys version 2 API
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/08/2007 10:49:00
--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 12:29:01PM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 May 2007 22:19:01 -0700
> > Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org> wrote:
> >=20
> > > Agreed.  And why add another daemon -- extend powerd(8) (and maybe =
=20
> > > make powerd(8) use a dictionary-based communication channel, while =
=20
> > > you're at it...)
>=20
> Can you explain some more (in detail if possible) how sysmon_power.c
> should use a dictionary-based communication channel? do you mean
> that communication between sysmon_power and the drivers should be
> made via proplib?

I'm not Jason, so I can only guess what exactly he had in mind. But my
take on what was being discussed when this came up was to make powerd(8)
the main monitoring daemon. Other things that want to monitor the system
(snmp, CIM, other stuff)  talk to it as opposed to talking directly to the
kernel. That way we can offer notifiction-based services w/o needing=20
polling in the kernel.

So other tools would issue requests in the form of dictionaries, and get=20
dictionaries as answers.

Take care,

Bill

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62