Subject: Re: Re: cpu speed and temperature
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2007 15:16:16
--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Mon, Apr 30 2007 - 17:53, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
>  You should probably take the load average or CPU usage and write a
>  script to issue the appropriate sysctl command.
>=20
>  BTW, the ALL kernel isn't suitable for actual use.

yeah - I noticed that as it didn't boot at all :-)

>  You can just define options INTEL_ONDEMAND_CLOCKMOD.

I used GENERIC plus this option.
Find attached the dmesg and sysctl parts.
I tried clockmod value 0 and 7 and the temperature didn't get lower
than 52,500degC in IDLE mode.

For what it's worth knowing it, I also did a few observations with
Windows XP, SpeedFan and PC Wizard 2007. It appears that when idling
those apps gives the following values:
- CPU Speed =3D 789,17 MHz
- Disk =3D 33=B0C
- CPU Temp / Temp1 =3D 52=B0C
- Core #1 =3D 52=B0C
- Core #2 =3D 50=B0C
- CPU activity when idling =3D between 3 and 5%...

'Not sure if it's good news NetBSD don't do better than Windows but
at least it does not do worse :-)

I'm gonna try to get such values on an older laptop to see if it has
something to do with hardware implementation...

Regards,
	Jo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0: (boot processor)
cpu0: Intel Pentium M (Yonah) (686-class), 1197.40 MHz, id 0x6e8
cpu0: features bfe9fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features bfe9fbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu0: features bfe9fbff<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF>
cpu0: features2 c1a9<SSE3,MONITOR,VMX,EST,TM2,xTPR>
cpu0: "Genuine Intel(R) CPU           U2500  @ 1.20GHz"
cpu0: I-cache 32 KB 64B/line 8-way, D-cache 32 KB 64B/line 8-way
cpu0: L2 cache 2 MB 64B/line 8-way
cpu0: using thermal monitor 1
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep (1020 mV) 1200 MHz
cpu0: unknown Enhanced SpeedStep CPU.
cpu0: using only highest and lowest power states.
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep frequencies available (MHz): 1200 800
cpu0: Intel(R) On Demand Clock Modulation (state disabled)
cpu0: calibrating local timer
cpu0: apic clock running at 133 MHz
cpu0: 64 page colors
cpu1 at mainbus0 apid 1: (application processor)
cpu1: not started
machdep.clockmod.target =3D 0
machdep.clockmod.current =3D 0
machdep.clockmod.available =3D 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0=20

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB--