Subject: Re: cpu speed and temperature
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2007 06:25:01
blair.sadewitz@gmail.com ("Blair Sadewitz") writes:

>Have you tried using INTEL_ONDEMAND_CLOCKMOD?  It currently doesn't do
>anything automatically, but it might help, or you could write a
>monitoring script.

That's PENTIUM4_ONDEMAND_CLOCKMOD and is for Pentium 4 only :) His
Core Duo uses the est driver which is already builtin as you can
see from his dmesg output.

| cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep (1020 mV) 1200 MHz
| cpu0: unknown Enhanced SpeedStep CPU.
| cpu0: using only highest and lowest power states.
| cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep frequencies available (MHz): 1200 800

His 4.0-kernel is single processor only. Changing the frequency
on a single core has no effect. That's why the est driver
was recently changed to propagate the frequency setting to
all cores. I could imagine that this doesn't work on a
single processor kernel.

That shouldn't be a problem for the 4.99.16-SMP-kernel though
which is multiprocessor and looks recent enough.

I can't see his XUbuntu files (403 - Forbidden). Linux supports
the different ACPI power modes, so it is possible that some
devices are simply put into power saving mode or even turned
off. There is also the possibility that ACPI uses different
(i.e. lower) voltages for the core when it switches power
modes.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de