Subject: Re: Asynchronous I/O
To: Thor Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/24/2007 20:47:07
On Apr 24, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, if the implementation uses an additional
> thread in
> the user process, why is any kernel support required at all?

Maybe it uses an additional kernel thread in that user process,
without requiring a pthread?  Anyway, if that's the case, it's good,
because then we can change the implementation without exposing the
details to user space.

I, for one, would like to see AIO that did not require a thread that
could block, but rather use of completely asynchronous APIs that
already exist in our kernel.

-- thorpej