Subject: Re: prototype in GENERIC for APC UPS?
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2007 14:50:57
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 08:43:39PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
>   IIUC, no.  The match with the highest priority is taken, so if ugen
> returns a higher priority for the listed devices than uhid (et. al.),
> we're good.  The order the matching routines are called in doesn't
> matter.

While true, this is kind of a funny case because ugen is defined to
handle things that others don't handle.  As I understand it.  So in
a sense, it makes sense to do as the posted patch does and ignore
these devices for uhid so that the generic match does the right
thing.

As I see it, the question is: Do we ever want uhid to get the device
(if ugen isn't included in the kernel)?
If so, then make ugen match higher.  If not, then make uhid ignore it.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com